Saturday, October 25, 2008

It's Not Easy Being Green

With this week being reading week at school, and being a procrastinator, I was reading Lester Brown's book Plan B 3.0. This is a wonderful book for those wanting information about the situation that our environment is in, what are some of the contributing factors are.

This book has gotten me thinking about how much of an impact I am making on this earth. This book also has convicted me of things in which I use to do but no longer due. I am going to challenge myself to do my part in limiting my impact on the earth... So here are a few things I am going to do (I already do a fair amount; recycle, turn lights off, use Compact Fluorescent Bulbs, drive a fuel efficient vehicle, etc.)

1. Live lower on the food chain - Plan B points out how much energy and resources are needed in feeding, watering, adding weight to cows, then slaughtering, packaging and transporting the meat to the market. So lowering ourselves on the food chain, helps lessen your impact.

2. Drive less - I live in a wonderful location in Atlanta. I live less then two miles from the seminary, a few blocks away from a grocery store, and even a shorter distance from a Farmers Market. So it is possible for me to drive less. Driving less does more then help the environment, it goes a long way in benefiting my own person well being.

3. Use less water - pretty obvious way to save money, but it also goes a long way in adding water that is added to the swearers and becomes waste water in which it may contaminated and useless for human consumption.

So here we go, lets see how this goes.

No comments: