Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Being Enchanted Again

Yesterday I was blessed to hear a wonderful speaker talking about becoming enchanted again with God. And these ideas have been rolling around in my head for most of the past two days, which is not a great thing when you have classes you need to be paying attention in. The speaker opened with a story I will share below from a C.S. Lewis book.

This idea of being enchanted by God, has stirred something deep within me. It may have just been that I now have more words to express what I see and feel and hope for the church. OR it may have also ignited something deep with in and brought it to a full fire in my heart. This might be an interesting reflection... since I do not know where it is going or where I want it to go.

I remember as a child, being outdoors and being totally awestruck and amazed at the Rocky Mountains, the snow, the changing of the seasons, the workings of the human body, the list could go on and on. And as I grew and took science classes I was shown why things happened in the universe. Yes I did enjoy science and all these things that brought wonder to my young mind enriched my time in science classes. It also has diminished the awe that I was able to see. When I saw the snow falling, I know that snow is a form of precipitation of falling crystalline water ice. Or how the Rocky Mountains were formed. All of these things I found wonder in as a child were explained in simple, rational and scientific ways.

I remember one of the first times I went backpacking in Colorado, I was standing on the top of Cannibal Plateau. It was around sunrise, and you could see for miles. I was blown away at how small I felt. I was also amazed that God spoke and made all of this. I was awestruck! It was wonderful.

In C.S. Lewis' classic series The Chronicles of Narnia there is a scene in the Prince Caspian book. The young Prince Caspian was told of the days of old Narnia, which had fallen silent. The young Prince began talking with his uncle the King and retelling these wonderful stories. His uncle responded by saying this... "'stop that noise,' said his uncle, taking Caspian by the shoulders and giving him a shake. 'Stop it, And never let me catch you talking - or - thinking either - about all those silly stories again."

I have seen the modern world attempt to explain everything, never being fully comfortable with the idea of mystery. And the church has gone along with this movement. We as a church have attempted to explain everything in simple answers for all to understand. But when it comes to mystery we have ignored it or have said, "stop that noise, stop talking or thinking about those silly stories."

I feel this has done a great disservice to us all. We have allowed rationalism to rule, not God. When we do this I feel that we stifle the spirit, we reason away or attempt to explain all that God is doing, and we do not just stand back in awe. Do not get me wrong, Science and reason are wonderful and for me are sparked by the experience of wonder and awe. Science and Reason have their place in our world, an important place. But we also need to step back from time to time and just be in awe. Be enchanted by what God has done, is doing and will do. Find time to be in awe and spend time in the wonderful.

1 comment:

John Shuck said...

Hey Matthew! Welcome to Presbyterian Bloggers! Thanks for the good work!