Wednesday, November 12, 2008

My New Favorite Way to Evangelize

So I have seen this van all over Decatur and East Atlanta! It makes me laugh I must say! Yes there are some things on the van in which I do agree with, but I am not really sure why someone would do this. I wonder if this is their way of sharing the gospel with other people? I also wonder how effective it is? I would have to guess probably not, since I am assuming they drive like most everyone else in this city... very poorly!

When I hear the "e-word" (Evangelism) I cringe, I'm Presbyterian for crying out loud, that word scares us. When people talk about evangelism, the images that pop into my head are those people standing on street corners with a bull horn, shouting at people. I also have images of people walking up to and handing out little pamphlets about God and how life is doomed without God. Those are the images that come up to me, and this van just adds another image for me now.

I must admit that sometimes when I see people doing these forms of evangelism, I am compelled to go and talk to them, much to the embarrassment of my fiancee. For some reason I want to run up and talk to them about God and theology. Maybe I just want to push their buttons and be a jerk. But almost always my fiancee holds me back.

So entering Seminary this year, I had the opportunity to take a class about Evangelism, shocking I know! But the funny thing is it is one of my favorite classes, even more shocking! And here is the kicker... I have come to a place where I see evangelism as being an important part of the life of the church, not in the since of member management and growth. But as an outpouring of what God is doing our lives. I know I will never be the kind of person who will walk up to someone and begin telling them about God and trying to convert them on the spot, I do however feel that I will be able to talk to people and share my life and faith with them, in a non-threatening sort of way, whatever that means.

I am still processing all of this, I am still not too sure what evangelism is going to look like for, maybe it is being a good friend, a nice person in a grocery store, or being a good neighbor, I am thinking there are thousands of possibilities. These are all long term evangelism "strategies," probably more realist and possible for me.

No comments: